The Minster View by YorkArtist's resident artist Mark Braithwaite
From The Classic York Collection
York's imposing Cathedral of St. Peter is one of the largest churches in Europe
The first, wooden church was built in the 7th century for the baptism of Edwin, King of Northumbria, and was dedicated to St. Peter. This was replaced by a stone church; its school, under the 8th century scholar Alcuin, was renowned throughout Christendom. This was destroyed in the great fire of 1069 which reduced much of York to ashes.
The present building is the fifth Christian church to stand on this site. Begun in 1222, by Archbishop Walter de Grey, the Minster was reconsecrated in 1472, having taken 250 years to complete.
This painting shows the view from the recently built Marks and Spencer flagship store in York city centre. The Manager kindly allowed artist M.J. Braithwaite access to a 4th floor balcony to take reference photographs for the picture. The 3rd floor of the store is called "The Minster View" - truly an impressive sight seen across the rooftops. The immense size of the cathedral buildings cannot be full appreciated from street level!
The tower on the far left of the painting is that of St. Sampson's Church, and on the right, Holy Trinity Goodramgate, both are no longer in use for regular worship. In the foreground are the canvas market stalls.
Look for Lucy, M.J. Braithwaite's black cat trademark!
The original painting, mounted and framed, in acrylic on canvas, is still available for sale. Offers around £4,000.
The Minster View has been reproduced as an offset lithograph on artcard.
The Minster View is presented in a 240x300mm mount, £5
Multibuy Special Offer; buy FOUR of the 24x30cm prints for £15
A larger, signed edition is also available, unmounted, approximate paper size 400x600mm, £25