York Minster from Precentors Court by YorkArtist's resident artist Mark Braithwaite
From The Classic York Collection
York's imposing Cathedral of St. Peter is one of the largest churches in Europe.
The first, wooden church was built in the 7th century for the baptism of Edwin, King of Northumbria, and was dedicated to St. Peter. This was replaced by a stone church; its school, under the 8th century scholar Alcuin, was renowned throughout Christendom. This was destroyed in the great fire of 1069 which reduced much of York to ashes.
The present building is the fifth Christian church to stand on this site. Begun in 1222, by Archbishop Walter de Grey, the Minster was reconsecrated in 1472, having taken 250 years to complete.
Showing the two towers of the West Front, seen at an unusual angle from Precentor's Court, the original picture was painted in watercolour on paper. Look for Lucy, M.J. Braithwaite's black cat trademark!
Look for Lucy, M.J. Braithwaite's black cat trademark!
York Minster from Precentors Court is presented in a 240x300mm mount
A larger, signed edition is also available, 400x500mm